Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The thing about dresses.









All from Becky Drolan Vintage at etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeckyDrolen?ref=pr_shop_more)

Here at work today I'm wearing a sleeveless linen top, wide leg pants, and laceless sneakers. It's an incredibly beautiful day out, the kind of day that makes you remember the first beach days of the season when you were a child. I can smell the ocean in the air, and, I took an early lunch to go nap outside. And sleep off a slight hangover. Now I feel great. The point is-- it's a beautiful day.

But here I am back at work, behind the cubicle walls (good blog title..."Behind Cubicle Walls"-- kind of in the "If These Walls Could Talk" vein...)Anyway. Here I sit, perusing etsy. I've just come upon a great shop I'd never seen before: Becky Drolan Vintage. (http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeckyDrolen?ref=pr_shop_more.

I've been taken by some supremely lovely dresses in her collection. The difference with these dresses though, then ones I am normally attracted to, is that these are not for cocktail parties or nights out. The dresses I've fallen for from Becky Drolan aren't party girls. I guess they're more like "dinner party" girls. In any case, take a look...drool...and imagine, with me, all the fabulous occasion to which one could wear them, feeling superb and set and pretty much shielded from any adjustments necessary for comfort or looks-- it seems to me that the person who slips on these dresses is then more or less effortlessly sophisticated and glamorous for any amount of hours later. That's the thing about dresses. If it's one like these... you're pretty much set with just the dress itself. Until the last thread frays, which should be a considerable amount of time, you will have an entire go-to outfit to throw on and feel polished in, no choosing pieces that go together, and few adjustments to make when wearing. When you consider it like that, it's an investment. And I am very much interested in becoming a keen investor....

The funny thing is, after all my rhapsodizing about dresses being easy, the reason I didn't wear a dress today is because I couldn't find my pettipants...



Yes, really. They're awesome. I bought them from this company that seems to supply at least half the grandmothers of America: http://www.shopnational.com/
They sell things you thought had been discontinued in 1978 at the latest, such as "model's coats" (long robes with a zipper up the front) and, well, pettipants. Also, keds, grasshopper shoes, and terrycloth turbans. Happy browsing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...